Friday, September 21, 2007

September 19, 2007

I just finished packing…tomorrow I leave this village and family I have come to love. I swear in as a Peace Corps Volunteer and my two-year service begins. 3 Months down, 24 to go!

Tonight, I will give my family small presents as thanks for everything they have done for me. I will promise to come back for visits.

It’s hard to imagine having to start all over with a new family. I’m looking forward to the work, the new city, and the new friends I will make. I’m anxious about starting my thesis.

I’m starting a wish list. I don’t want anyone to feel obligated to send me packages – I know it can be expensive, but for those who want to send stuff I figured a wish list would be helpful.

• Listerine “Tooth Defense” Mouthwash
• Spice packets, such as taco seasoning
• Frank’s Hot Sauce
• Peanut Butter
• Sugar-free gum
• Books – fiction novels
• Burned DVD’s (Copies, Don’t send new ones – they might get stolen)
• Maybelline Dream Matte mousse foundation – Sandy Beige, Medium 1
• Floss picks
• Emergen-C Drink Mix
• Crystal Light
• Sweaters
• Music – mixed CD’s are great
• Photos
• World Map
• Trashy Magazines
• Tequila nips
• Body wash
• Body Lotion


Tips for sending packages: Write in permanent marker; make an inventory list on the inside of the box. Do not use envelopes, they are more frequently opened en route. Reinforce with heavy tape – it often takes things months to get here. In the winter packages may take up to 4 months to arrive.

No comments: