Wednesday, December 26, 2007

1 Christmas Down, 1 to Go

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day turned out to be very lovely. It was a white one. There was lots of good food, and great company. I missed seeing everyone and doing the usual family Christmas run-around, but It made me happy to know that everyone would be togther and enjoying the day.

The city here has begun to shut down. Christmas isn't popular, but New Years (Нови год) sure is. It feels like a mix of what we consider Halloween and 4th of July. There are masks and costumes, lots of fireworks, and the "Christmas Tree" actually is for New Years. The town is painted in tinsel.

On New Years Eve a bunch of us will be going out for dinner, that's pretty much all we have planned. No grand fancy parties.

I talked to my first host family last night and made arrangements to visit them after IST, in the middle of January. Very excited about that (and about the fact that I was able to communicate that to them in Russian)! I'm looking forward to seeing them all and spending the night. The youngest sister just turned four. The oldest sister keeps telling me via text messages that Eliza keeps asking where I went and when I'll be home. So cute!

1 comment:

BrendaC said...

Glad to hear you had a merry Christmas, Becky. We're looking forward to hearing about the New Year's celebration! Take care, Brenda