Friday, January 16, 2009

A note to prospective cat owners overseas:

I thought I was doing a good thing when I adopted my tiny kitten over a year ago from a fellow Peace Corps Volunteer whose cat had a litter. If I didn’t take it, it’d probably end up on the street. I also thought I’d be gaining companionship and would have a little something to take care of, if for nothing else, to make me feel more responsible here, while living alone.

My precious Kyrgyz kitten was born with three ears (which I didn’t even notice until I brought her home). And eventually she earned her name Kangaroo – Roo for short, by spending hours inside my hoodies. She loved to borrow and cuddle against my belly; I would go about my household activities with her there.

Roo is a little over a year old now, and in heat. Imagine the most annoyingly excruciating sound and amplify it. Now, try living with this 24 hours a day for a week. For the past few nights I’ve felt sympathy for my neighbors (these old soviet-style concrete apartment buildings aren’t great at sound control) and have been effectively quieting my cat by distracting her every 30 minuets or so, all night long, by dangling a fake fish in front of her attached to a yellow plastic rod. The fish is on the floor, then with a flick of the wrist, the fish is on the bed. Back and forth until she’s tired and settles down for a bit. When there’s quiet I shut my eyes and pray my arms will work while I’m asleep.

On Tuesday I woke up nauseas; eyes bloodshot. Wednesday was better. Tonight I’m hoping for at least 5 consecutive hours of sleep. I googled “cats in heat” in the mists of my temporary insanity (from lack of sleep – remember I’m a PCV and am used to my usual 9-10 hours a night) and found articles detailing how to alleviate your cat with a Q-tip. It was more than disturbing. I know the humane thing to do is to get my cat spayed. Unfortunately for me, they don’t do that here – which may explain the plethora of strays.

So, my advice for all you animal lovers abroad is: get a male!

No comments: