Sunday, January 13, 2008

Well, I just completed my In-Service-Training! That marks my 6th month of being in Kyrgyzstan. It was strange seeing everyone who is still here, whom I haven't seen since the end of Pre-Service Training. We stayed in the same hotel, just outside of the city. It was cold! Thought it would be a nice relaxing week, but it turned out to be stressful. I actually got homesick for my apartment! I'm heading back to my site tomorrow - hopefully with the snow there won't be any flight delays or cancellations.

I got a chance to visit my first host family in the village over the weekend. Wish I had planned it better so I would have had more time to spend with them. I just stayed one night. Our little puppy is now a lot bigger, and nicer (she walked me to the outhouse every time!) The girls were great. And everyone enjoyed the newspaper article I gave them (from the haverhill Gazette). My mom was a little embarassed that she wasn't more dressed up, but they thought it was really cool that their picture was in an American Newspaper. My host dad loved looking at the car ads. He just bought a new one, and was bummed to see that cars are cheaper in the U.S.

They sent me home with homemade jam and tomato sauce, which I can't wait to eat.

I'm getting the kitten tomorrow!!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Beck,

I've been thinking about you a lot; wondering how your week of training went and how your first host family is doing. I bet they were happy to see you. The New Year's celebration sounded like a lot of fun. Let us know how your new kitten is adjusting to his new home!

casey said...

Becky!!
I have been thinking of you! Hope you got my email a few days ago...I also forgot to ask if you need anything for your kitten (I think). I have tons of free coupons to the this pet store because I adopted another pup, so I can pick something up and send it to you. Erin and I are getting ready do send you a package, so I can pop it in there, as well.

Just let me know! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

can't believe it has been six months, wow. sounds like you're haning in there