Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Small World

Small World – July 23, 2007

Mundane guestures remind me that we are not so different. When my 3 year old host sister Eliza was given a bowl of hot soup for lunch the other day, her first reaction was to blow on it. Being the same age as Nathan, the little daily things she does like that are a constant reminder that people, no matter how differently we live, are very much alike in noticeable and not so noticeable ways.

This past weekend my host family was planning on taking me to a family party at a relative’s house about 20 minutes away – toward the mountains. I was denied permission to go, so I felt really bad when my family decided not to go on my behalf. Instead we had a small BBQ ourselves, and I met my host brother for the first time when he came home from the capital where he goes to school and works.

Saturday night 8 other volunteers and I were guested at another volunteer’s house. I couldn’t believe how much food her host mother had prepared. It was truly a feast of rice and noodle dishes, salads, bread, lots of sweets, and of course tea. Her host father presented us with a bottle of vodka and expected all the men in our group to make a toast. Culturally toasting is a major aspect of social events. It was pretty humorous watching the guys scrape together toasts with their limited language skills. I was lucky my oldest host sister came with me because by the time we left at 9 pm it was already getting dark out and we had to walk a ways without streetlights.

Sunday was great I got to sleep in – to 8 am! Sunday is usually our 1 day free every week, but our host mothers had prepared a cultural lesson Sunday night. We all met at Rob’s California style mansion (his mother is the village Doctor), and the moms had us act out a Turkish Style wedding. Picture this – 8 Turkish, Kyrgyz, and Russian mothers bossing 10 Americans around in 3 different languages (none of which English), and adorning us with veils and other costumes, then pushing us into a circle of 20 locals dancing in a circle to really load music. By 9pm a Adam and Tracy were considered married and we all went home, well prepared (or not at all) for the wedding of a host sister we all got invited to attend next month.

So to say the least, it has been interesting and funny here. No one would be able to do this without a sense of humor. The mandatory bike helmet that I’m required to wear when riding to class everyday has become the butt of a lot of jokes. I don’t think the locals have ever even heard of helmets. I get some pretty strange looks everyday.

This afternoon my group mates came over to work on a map of our village that we have to present to the other groups tomorrow. Our homework was to identify the police station, school, shops, mosques, etc. Theo, after articulately drawing out our entire village, pulled out his watercolor set, and we all almost died of laughter. Seriously, who brings an expensive water color set to the Peace Corps?! That moment made my day – and I have to admit our map came out awesome.

That’s about all I have time for tonight. If anyone really wants my address feel free to email me, just keep in mind I can only check my email once a week, so don’t worry if I don’t get back to you right away. My email is becky.johnson@mail.sit.edu or beckyj6043@hotmail.com

Once I get to my permanent site in September I will distribute my address that should be valid for the remainder of my time here.

5 comments:

Linda Johnson said...

Hi Becky

Why were you denied to go to the barbeque? Sounds like you had fun anyway. I am glad you are finding humor and acceptance in this new way of life. and you are right, no matter how different we live, we are all the same.

lots of love - stay safe

auntie linda

Casey said...

Beck!
Sorry it has taken so long...but I finally have been able to read your blogs. I had no doubts that you would jump right in to the thick and thin of things- your bravery and passion will follow you wherever you go. It sounds like your trainings have been really great and I love the details about your host family. Are you staying with them the whole time your are there or only for part of your service?
It's great to be able to track what you have been doing...which has already been so much in just a short period of time...and please send me your address there! and hopefully you will receive some snail mail after that (how long do you think mail takes to get there??) I miss you here, but I know that you are doing to gain and give so much from this experience! Love you! Peace and be well, Casey

Casey said...

Hi Becky!
Sorry it has taken me so long to write to you...I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, and I had no doubts that you would jump right into the thick and thin of things. No matter where you go your courage and passion will follow. Your experience and intensive trainings really sound amazing and it seems like you are making the most of everything there...your host family sounds great! Are you staying with them permanently or only for part of your service?
Your blogs have been wonderful to read, and as much as I miss you I know that you are doing great things and you will give and gain so much from this experience. Send me your address there and expect some snail mail in the near future! Love you, casey

Casey said...

Sorry! I don't know why it sent it twice...the first time it said I had to make an account but I guess it sent it anyway!!

Carolyn said...

Hi: Isa and I are reading the latest blog (for the 2nd or 3rd time each) and still having fun noticing more details. We took Nate to the Lowell Folk Festival today and heard a Moldavian Klezmer group. He danced. We are having a sleepover tonight and hopefully going to the beach tomorrow. [This is the first weekend of Camp Perry trip]. Looking forward to the next post with much anticipation (no pressure). Love C+I