Monday, July 16, 2007

Today was our first "HUB" Day - also the first time seeing everyone from the whole group since we moved into our host families in different villages. For the next 10 weeks we'll have 1 hub day and 1 technical training day a week at the hub site and spend the other days in 5 hour language classes. It feels like I've been here a month already. I know over 100 words and phrases from last weeks 3 classes alone.

My host family is wonderful. I have 3 sisters ages 3, 13, and 15! They are amazingly patient and nice teaching me how to get water from the well across the street and do laundry, etc. I have my own room. We watch MTV and they love American actors and pop music. The food has been heavy (greasy) but good. Lots of soup and tea. The house is really nice - kitchen, bathroom, and shower are all outside which has been interesting. My family has a little black puppy named Silvia.

Our language teacher is also staying with a host family and we go there for classes. They have 2 really cute kittens and we named them. Its about a 20 min walk but it feels great to get some excercise.

Everyone is waiting for me to head back to our village - which is only about 10 mins away. So hopefully I'll have time to write more tomorrow. Paka! (Bye)

1 comment:

Dad said...

I'm happy to hear that you are adapting so well and enjoying the challenge. Take lots of pictures and post them when you can. I am very proud of you.