Monday, October 15, 2007

I got an apartment. I’m still in shock; I can’t believe it. I actually have my own place in Kyrgyzstan. The location is amazing. It’s located on a street that connects the two main streets in the city. Located right next to the State University and in the same building as my favorite internet café and favorite restaurant. It’s right in the center of the city. It’s a five-minute walk to the grocery store, and a two-minute walk to 4 other volunteers’ apartments. It’s a twenty-five minute walk to work, but there are trolleys that take less than 2 minutes. I’m so excited!

My apartment is on the 4th (top) floor with windows facing south. I have a bathroom, a bedroom, a kitchen, and a small balcony. Water, phone, and trash removal are included in the rent, which is 3,000 som/ month ($89). Electricity and gas are extra but usually no more than an extra 200 som. The walls are painted light blue. There is a bed, a wardrobe, two small tables, 2 chairs, a mini-stove, and a kitchen cabinet thing. A hot water heater (for the shower) will be installed December 1st. I will need to buy a fridge, but not right away seeing how it is cold already. I’ll just keep things in a box on the balcony.

I found a couple to sublet it until I can move in in December. In the end I will only be spending an extra $47 to get the place now and hold it. I couldn’t pass up such a good opportunity.

Meg, Theo, and I spent the weekend buying cleaning supplies and scrubbing the place down. It was mostly just dusty – it’s an old building. It looks a lot better already.

It’s not that I don’t like my host family; I’m just ready to have my own space. For peace and quiet (no TV constantly blaring!). To not have to tell people what time I’ll be home. I want to leave my toiletries in the bathroom and my food in the fridge knowing that no one will use them. I want to walk from the bathroom to my room in a towel, instead of having to put my clothes back on before I leave. I want to be able to have friends over for dinner and actually cook (without being criticized). I want to feel like I can settle in and relax, without thinking about moving again for 2 years. And most importantly, I want to be able to walk everywhere – especially in the winter when the marshrutka’s are unsafe.

So I’m counting down the days, looking for things I’ll need to buy and making lists. And if anyone is planning on visiting you can stay with me!

3 comments:

A. Carol said...

Congratulations on finding such a great apartment - clearly a good move.

Is it cold already or just not blistering hot? When is your 'winter' and do you expect snow?

Hugs from Auntie Carol

AuntieM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AuntieM said...

Hi Becky, Wow - awesome on finding an apartment - your very first apartment by yourself!

Sounds much better than living with the host family - besides I'm sure you want to be on your own.

The blog is great - keep posting.
Love, Auntie Martha