Thursday, October 11, 2007

The President is in the Building...

Not until I had passed at least 50 “Militcia” from my short walk from the bus stop to my office building, did I remember that the President of Kyrgyzstan was visiting my city today. Apparently he was not only visiting the city, but also the Oblast Administration building where my office is situated. Police officers were everywhere – conglomerated in groups of eight on every street corner within a mile radius, standing on every step leading up to the building, in the bushes, in the hallways – everywhere! There were even a few K-9 dogs on thick ropes. The street on the side of the building was blocked off and the sidewalk was reaming with politicians. I tried to spot the President while walking painfully slow past, but I assume he was already inside. I didn’t get questioned when walking into the building on the opposite side, but later when I went to the restroom I got asked for my ID and I had left it in my office. That was an interesting Russian conversation.

“Militcia” describes these guys so much better than “policemen.” They wear dark blue suits with big, wide, flat, stern hats. Their shoulders are adorned with red stripes and stars are embossed on their chests. They are intimidating – although much more so three months ago then today.

Last night Rachel Waldstein, Foreign Affairs Officer from the Office for the Near East and South Central Asia – US Department of State – Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, along with Political Officer Dustin Bickel from the Embassy of the US in Kyrgyzstan took us out for dinner. We met at our favorite local restaurant and ate and chatted for a few hours. It was very interesting to learn about their backgrounds, how they got the jobs they have now, and what they do for and in Kyrgyzstan. Coincidentally, Rachel used to work for World Learning, which is what The School for International Training (my grad school) is part of. And Dustin is a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer from Uzbekistan. Small world.

Bought some amazing Kyrgyz slippers yesterday. So pumped. I kept seeing them every time I went to the bazaar, and my host mom was nagging me on a daily basis to get some – so I finally splurged and boy was it worth it. They are woolish – multicolored with embroidery and leather soles. So cute and so warm.

Kelly’s boyfriend who is visiting gave us a website design tutorial (he works for Microsoft) so that was helpful and interesting.

Cameron visited again this past Wednesday, which was fun. Took him to the bazaar and he was blown away. Introduced him to my favorite soy salad vendor and we each bought 40 som worth for lunch. I’m addicted to this soy salad it’s so good: soy medallions (yea I said it) with shredded carrots and cabbage soaked in a spicy vinegar sauce. I crave it. I bought half a kilo thinking it would last the week and I finished it in one day! I couldn’t restrain myself. This one spot in the bazaar has a whole row of these vendors that only sell this salad and other variations of it – some with meat, some with fish, and others with different veggie and noodle combinations. I love it. One of these days I’ll take some pictures.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi Beck,

I just love your descriptions! They are so colorful & humorous. That's impressive that you have had dinner with US dignitaries. Take notes - you'll be one of them before long! I hope you get our package soon. We forgot to put a list inside, but Ben used so much packing tape, you can barely see the box! Hope to call you soon.
Love you and miss you much,
Mom :-)